Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Pittsburgh, PA-Toledo, OH-Kansas City, MO

I have been making my last leg of my trip these past few days and there has been some real moving around. On Sunday morning, I said goodbye to my family in Sterling, VA as I was setting forth for Pittsburgh, PA that night. I have always wanted to go around the Gettysburg battlefield and it wasn't too far out of the way at all so I stopped by. I went in the museum to freshen up on my facts about the battle. There were about 50,000 casualties on that battlefield and that astounded me. I drove around the battlefield for a little bit, but had to depart for Pittsburgh where I would be resting for the night.



I made my way into the night and I would be staying at a guy's house from couchsurfing.org.
This was a guy who I had no idea who he was, but he would open his home to me based on the website. I have only done this one other time and it was amazing the past time I did it because I got to meet a few really cool people. I met the guy named Aaron and he turned out to be another awesome guy. Aaron and I had a cool conversation about life and he told me some really cool stories about adventures that he has been on to Europe. So far couchsurfing.org is two for two by me!
That morning, I woke up as he was getting ready for work. He brewed some coffee and we sat on his porch and we had a good talk about life and he told me places to check out in the city. Because I needed a little time for reflection, I went to a little coffee house in Pittsburgh to relax for a bit and learn more about who God is by reading a bit of the Holy Bible.



I had a few hours to kill before heading to Toledo, OH for the night so I cruised around, based on Aaron's recommendations, to see some cool things to see in Pittsburgh. I first went to a cool elevator that took you up the side of side of a cliff at an angle. Some people also know these things as funiculars and I like that word a lot so I will use it.



I took it to the top which had a beautiful view of the city and I walked around a little bit. Before too long I took it back down because I needed to start thinking about making my way to Toledo.
Before parting ways, I had a little salad and beer at the Hofbrau Haus. It was a little bit touristy, but I thought it would be a little bit cool to stop in at. I didn't even know they franchised these places but you learn something new everyday.
I didn't have too far too drive to make it to Toledo that night. I was going to stay at Jared Grosse's apartment. He was the guy that I knew from this past summer that I was able to see earlier on this trip in Asheville, NC, but unfortunately he wasn't going to be here at this time. I didn't check out much of Toledo, as I was exhausted after a long days thoughts so I really just stayed in at his place this night.

This morning, I woke up early and made my way towards Kansas City to see my friend Baylee Mobley. She is the wife of my long time friend Stephen Mobley that I knew from high school and who went to Texas Tech with me. Baylee also went to school with us, which is where she met Stephen and I feel so blessed to have her as a good friend as well. Unfortunately, Stephen was out of town for work tonight, so I will need to make another trip out here to see him.




It was a long drive of about 11 1/2 hours but it was pretty relaxing and stress relieving as I made my way from state to state. I met Baylee at an awesome Kansas City BBQ place that Stephen knew I would like. It was so good and apparently was a place that my favorite Anthony Bourdain has been too. I had such a good time getting to see Baylee after about a year of being in different places.
Tomorrow I will have another nice long drive to Estes Park, CO to see some of my really good friends who are working in Rocky Mountain National Park that I got to know in Grand Teton National Park this past summer.

Have fun at work tomorrow guys!
Ryan


No comments:

Post a Comment