Thursday, June 19, 2014

Blue Ridge Parkway-Wilkesboro, NC-Charleston, SC


When I was leaving Asheville, my good friend from Wyoming this past summer was able to come into town and meet me for coffee and a beer. It was so cool seeing him again. We went on a cool overnight hike together in Wyoming and saw some amazing things and got along really well.
Next I took the Blue Ridge Pkwy up to Boone, NC. I have never been on that road before and it was the coolest thing I've ever driven on and the funnest with all of the turns and everything!
 
I took it up to the tallest point in North Carolina, named Mount Mitchell and went up to the top of that, so it's kind of cool to say I've now been on the tallest point in Texas and now North Carolina.
I took the Blue Ridge Pkwy into Boone and met my friends from Wyoming from 2011. Caleb was one of the guys who I was climbing with the night before I fell down the mountain. Angela was the Colter Bay corral foreman that Caleb met up there and now they are happily married so that's kind of cool to see and it makes me happy. I heard that when I was in the hospital after my accident, Caleb said some awesome prayers in which people were able to literally see God working.
I stayed with Caleb's parents in Wilkesboro on Tuesday night and had breakfast with Caleb on Wednesday morning before heading off to Charleston. On the way, I felt I needed a little green tea so I pulled over to brew some in the beautiful hills of North Carolina.
I saw that Congaree National Park was close by along the drive and decided to pull over and check it out. It was a really cool swamp area where Francis Marion had learned quite a bit back in the day.

I then made it into Charleston and was able to walk around a little bit and get a feeling for it before going to the place I was going to stay for the night.
The person that I was staying with on this night was someone that I met on couchsurfing.org. It was a new thing for me to do this but I have heard several people say it works really well so I gave it a chance. Amy Hassinger was my host for Wednesday night and so I went over to her place. I arrived right as her and her friends were having a bible study time. It was honestly a bit uncomfortable at first to be there, but I remembered that the purpose of this trip was for me to get uncomfortable because I learned a while back that when you are uncomfortable, it is the only time that you will be growing. After I remembered that, I loosened up and started having a great time and hopefully impacted peoples lives positively. 
It was so much fun staying with someone who knew the area. Amy told me all about many great areas to go and things to check out. We stayed up late having a really good conversation and went out for breakfast this morning to a place that she said had the best chicken and waffles so I was excited to try it!

This morning I walked around a little bit more around downtown Charleston before stopping at this Starbucks for coffee and I am soon to depart for Fort Sumter National Monument and then to Wilmington, NC for the night.

Next time you want to travel check out couchsurfing.org. It is the best way to meet people who know the area you are in. And make sure to have a great day!
Ryan 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment