Friday, June 6, 2014

Savannah, GA

So I left Mississippi on Wednesday morning en route for Savannah, Georgia. It was the longest drive I had ever been on all by myself so I'd say that was an accomplishment. I left Buccaneer State Park by about 8 in the morning and went to get some breakfast at a little diner in Waveland, MS before going for the drive. I read the back of a mans shirt who was sitting in front of me that had a little note about how much Jesus had done for us by having his hands nailed through as he was left to dangle on the cross in complete pain and suffering. It made me think a little while eating my breakfast, so when I had finished I went over to him and thanked him for wearing that shirt. He told me, "You know, sometimes that's all you have to do to make people think about things is wear a t-shirt."



After that breakfast, I started making my way. Unfortunately, I had a lot of distance to cover so I wasn't able to stop too much except to get coffee at the state visitors centers. This trip has definitely made me drink more coffee than ever before, but I figure its better to drink coffee than to fall asleep while driving.


At about 11:00 pm I made it into Tybee Island, GA where I will be camping for the night. I started setting up my tent and I see a couple at the campsite next to me talking and relaxing so I go over and conversate with them. They were doing the exact same thing that I was, just with a total of four people so it was cool to talk with them. They had just graduated from Cornell University and were heading in the opposite direction of me for about a month and a half.

I wasn't able to see at night, but I looked around in the morning and went for a swim in the Atlantic Ocean. It was a nice morning all by myself, so I went on a longboard adventure around the little beach town. I longboarded over to an awesome little breakfast place on the beach called Breakfast Club.



I was excited when I got back because I saw that my girlfriend Copper had called. The reason I was in the Savannah area these few days was because Copper's cousin was getting married and I was going to be Copper's date to the wedding. I drove into Savannah and found her and we walked around and enjoyed Savannah together. This was the first time that I had been to Savannah and I thought it was such a cool town with so much history behind it.


 We learned as we were walking around that this is where Forrest Gump sat on the bench and told his story to people, so because Forrest Gump is everyone's favorite movie, we had to go find the park that he sat at, which is where we were sitting in the following picture. It turned out that they put the actual bench that he was sitting on in a museum so we found another bench in the same park to take a picture on because sometimes we like to think of ourselves as Forrest and Jenny.


We went to the wedding that night and it was so cool because it was at an old, historic plantation home out in the forest. It was really nice and the food was really, really good!
Copper and I are currently writing this from inside a coffee shop in Savannah and tonight we will be heading back to her house in Dallas, GA. I was especially happy with this coffee shop because in the back ground of these pictures, you can see a Shiner Bock and Lone Star Beer sign, and that made me happy.
Make sure to have a big smile today!
Ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment